Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Learning new things

It's been a week since I completed my 30 days without sugar challenge, and even though I did not loose all the weight that I wanted, I do feel it benefited me tons. So much that I'm doing it again this month, starting yesterday. It took me a few days to finally kick my butt in gear and get going once again, after 3 or 4 days of bad eating my body was not feeling 100%. Not only would I get a headache after eating but I  felt bloated and gassy (yes I just said that) all the time as if I had been eating non stop, which wasn't the case, but I wasn't eating the best foods, instead I was reaching for sugary stuff and breads, both my weakness. So I have a new motive this time, not only challenging my self and loosing weight, but being healthy and feeling good. It's only being a couple of days, but It has not been hard at all and I'm not having cravings, I feel at ease, even peaceful. I'm adding a little twist to it this time and allowing myself a treat once a week, so it will be more like 1 week without sugar at the time. This will be my experiment to see if I can find the balance that I need to have this be more of a lifestyle than a diet.

On another note, my marathon training is going good. I have mentioned finding a running buddy and training together for what will be both our first marathon. It has been and interesting experience and I'm learning more than I expected, but I guess that is the journey. right? My running buddy and I started at two very different places and condition, and I have been stressed about our pace and time. If you are familiar with my training style you would know that time  is very important for me and I always want to improve that. Time is pretty much what drives me and I become pretty competitive with myself at beating previous PRs. Well, training at someone else's pace has been frustrating, so much that my running buddy has taken notice. I'm not very proud of myself for letting that side of me show. I was bringing in a lot of negativity and unwanted tension that I knew a decision needed to be made where either two people would be left without a running partner and support system or I would just have to humble myself and cool it in order to help both my running buddy and myself reach our marathon goal. So I decided to go with the second one. Mrs B. has not only been patient with me but has push herself beyond her comfort zone. She is always ready with a mapped route and learns every single mile marker, she is full of tips, and stretches and knows every single bone and muscle name in the body. She's my little encyclopedia. I think I'll keep her.
Also anyone agrees that it is a lot safer being with someone out there in the wee hours of the day when it is still as dark as night, and I have to admit having someone whom I know will be waiting for me at 5:30 am makes it easier to leave the comfort and warm of my bed when I'd rather be sleeping and  don't forget those long runs ahead will be easier to bear with some to chat, the things we talk about! Another thing I have been able to notice is that so far recovering after runs has been very minimal and quick. I haven't been tired during or after our runs,  and  have been able to keep my energy up during the day. I also think that my risk for injuries will be lower and there's even a chance that I won't have to deal with that.

So I'm trying to stay focus on the positive side of things and reminding myself of the advice often read and given that as a first time marathoner I should not be concerned about my time, but the experience and being able to cross the finish line and that is what I will do.

2 comments:

  1. As someone who is always the "other" partner, we appreciate you guys slowing down for us and being patient. This is going to be a great experience for you. There's always another marathon ahead. As far as the sugar challenge... I'm so glad I knew someone else was suffering with me. Though I feel like it's not so hard anymore. I like the once a week treat. I'm working on chips now. They're my ultimate weakness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOu are a great runner! I've never seen anyone push so hard they'd throw up at the finish line! I'm looking forward to my first marathon, I IS going to be a great experience. And I do agree the sugar thing is not as hard anymore, specially if I keep away from temptation. It's different no to sit there craving sugars than actually staring at it and wanting it, UGH! But it has gotten easier overall. Inspiration is always needed, so keep up your good work!

    ReplyDelete